Introducing the Australian Pokemon League (APL)!
The APL is a team based, round robin tournament using VGC rules being held exclusively for those living in Australia. The tournament will be held over 8 weeks and will feature 6 teams being managed by 6 of Australia’s best VGC players. Over those 8 weeks, we will see 5 round weeks, a mid season break, and two weeks of playoffs. Teams will be picked through a drafting process where Managers will bid for players. Players can sign up to be included in the draft by clicking the button below.
- Duration: 8 Weeks
- Players per team per week: 5
- Format: Each week the Manager of each team will submit a roster of which players will be playing in the following formats: 3x VGC 2016, 1x VGC 2015, 1x VGC 2014. Each player will play one player from the opposing team in the format nominated, and the team which wins 3 of 5 sets will win that week, with the sets won being used as tiebreakers.
- Weekly Games: Games will be played primarily on Pokemon Showdown, however it may be played on cartridge if both players agree to this. Each week there will be one elected feature match per team, in which these players will need to play on cartridge and ensure the Battle Videos are saved and uploaded for use by PokeAus / EXP Gaming.
- Additional Rules: The use of Minimise and Double Team is banned, to allow for faster games. Any player found using this will receive a loss for that week.
Teams and Managers
We have 6 teams, and 6 of Australia’s best VGC players leading them:
Manager: Bailey Owen
Manager Bio: Bailey has been one of the most consistent players in Australia, with two Top Cuts in his first year of Masters, in two of the strongest regions being a Top 4 at Adelaide and a Top 16 at Melbourne Regionals in 2015. With almost flawless Premier Challenge Top Cuts and a Worlds Invitation before Regionals, Bailey definitely knows his way around the game, as can be seen by his commentary at the 2016 Melbourne Regionals.
Manager: Brendan Webb
Manager Bio: Brendan only started playing VGC in the 2015 Season, having no results prior to Nationals except one Premier Challenge win. Brendan managed to secure a Top 8 placing during the 2015 Australian Nationals. While his 2016 Season both online and offline has only been above average, he’s shown he can pull out a strong unexpected finish before.
Roaring Rustboro Kangaskhans
Manager: Martin Larumbe
Manager Bio: Martin has had easily the strongest Regionals season this format, with a triple Top Cut in Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, taking gold in Sydney. He has been a considerable threat since 2014, placing 5th at Sydney Regionals in 2014 and going 7-2 at Nationals in 2015, showing his strength in all recent formats. On the community side Martin has represented Australia in multiple friendlies, with only a single loss to his name to date.
Manager: Matthew Roe
Manager Bio: Matthew had a very strong season last year, with a Top 4 at Adelaide Regionals followed by being crowned the National Champion of the 2015 format. Through only a few Premier Challenges and a Tasmanian Midseason Showdown, Matthew qualified for worlds very early on this year, shifting his focus towards being head commentator for Melbourne Regionals.
Manager: Phil Nguyen
Manager Bio: Phil has been in the VGC scene in Australia since the beginning and found instant success in 2013 when he won the Brisbane Regional. In 2014 the world got to know Phil as he found success in the online circuit. The following year he qualified for Day 2 of the World Championships and finished 21st. 2016 may not be a great year for him but he is known not to give up and fight back stronger.
Seven Island Stoutlands
Manager: Luke C
Manager Bio: Luke is one of the most well known players globally, with a large presence online and solid results in Adelaide since 2014. With a Top 4 at Adelaide Regionals in both 2014 and 2016, and a Top 16 in 2015, Luke has been dominating the Adelaide competitive scene and his consistency and knowledge of the game makes him one of Australia’s and most renound players.
Managers start with 90k and can draft themselves for 15k. Base price of a player is 3k, and bidding increments are 0.5k.
During the draft each manager will take it in turns to nominate players who signed up, and then managers will bid on said player. If no one bids then the player goes to the manager who nominated the player for the base price.
Each team must have a minimum of 5 players, with no maximum.
Sign-Ups: June 5 – June 10
Draft: June 11
Week 1: June 13 – June 19
Week 2: June 20 – June 26
Mid-Season Break: June 27 – July 3
Week 3: July 4 – July 10
Week 4: July 11 – July 17
Week 5: July 18 – July 24
Play Offs Week 1: July 25 – July 31
Play Offs Week 2: August 1 – August 7
- The top 3 teams after week 5 will go through to the play offs.
Players of each team can be traded at any time, with ‘2 for 1 player’ deals and ‘1 player + money for 1 player’ deals also being allowed. During mid season break players can be sold back for half of their original drafting price. Managers may purchase new players for their team from a Midseason draft, which will have new sign ups closer to the date. Players sold can be bought by other teams.
Prizes / Sponsors
- TenFoldcards will be designing custom cards for each team, with their final logos. Each team member at the end of the season will receive a custom card. (Check out work by clicking logo below)
- Ry-Spirit will be providing artwork to the winners. (Check out art by clicking logo below)
- More prizes TBA